Saturday, September 24, 2011

Week of Sept. 18th

Sunday morning we went to Church.  They have one English mass and it is later in the morning so that is nice.  During mass they call kids ages 4-7 up and they go to a little Sunday school mass so that is nice for Sean.  After church we saw a few people we knew and the kids enjoyed some cookies.  The church is a small, older gothic looking church.  They don't have pews just wooden chairs.  And as you come in you put the amount of host that your family needs in the bowl.  The priest is from Ireland and gave a good sermon.  After we left church we tried a little Chinese place just down the street from us for lunch.  Everything was very good.  The owners are a nice older Chinese couple and they spoke some English and he was telling us how he liked the Sears Tower and China Town in Chicago.  Then Jason flew out today for Romania for part of the week and then on to Paris later in the week.  Last week when he drove to Paris he said he was pretty sure he got a ticket.  He saw some flashing going on after he passed a camera which he didn't see.  Here we don't really see police at all on the road let alone pulling people over.  Everything is done via electronic camera.  We will see how many tickets he ends up with at the end of the year!
Here the cub scouts is done through the British School on the other side of town and the scout program has so many kids that want to join and not enough den leaders that they have a waiting list.  So both boys I put on the waiting list and we will see what happens.  They told me that in the spring it looks like they may open up a Beaver section which would be Sean so he may be able to get in then.

Monday morning I tried out a chiropractor here.  There are only a couple around here.  Everything went well.  He is from Canada and has 5 kids!  After school today the boys started their sports class called Ball Skills.  It works out well since it is 2-4th grade so the boys are together.  Today I went when school ended to make sure they got where they needed to be.  So right after school Jacob can go to the gym and Sean goes to a meeting point with teachers and then they walk them over to the gym and it is a hour class.  So next week I will just start coming only once the sports class ends.  After the boys got to their sports class Amber started running around and playing outside with one of her preschool friends and the mom and I chatted so Amber got in some exercise too!

Tuesday I had another French lesson.  She has me trying to say words that sound like words that aren't very nice in the states especially the way I am saying them.  When Amber and I came home from school today she came in and went up to the first floor and took off her shoes and her coat then proceed to come back down stairs in the basement to tell me she has to go to the bathroom (which she can do by herself) so I told her great, go back upstairs and go potty.  Not sure what she was thinking about coming back down but then she said she couldn't hold it anymore and just peed through her clothes all over the step.  Nothing like pee running down the steeps!  After school both boys had a friend over so that was nice.  Glad I had the bigger car to be able to take 5 kids.  I have spent a lot of time over the last couple of days looking at places to go for the weekends and we are planning a trip to Italy too.

Wednesday was a fun day.  After I dropped the kids off at school I went to get Jacob some ear phones and a USB stick for school and then got a little lost looking for the American Women's club brunch this morning since it was out of town a bit for me.  I was also looking for the store that sells American items out that way and thought I missed that too and went to turn around and what do you know it was the store's parking lot.  So got some special cereals, mac and cheese, some mixes and a few other things.  Then went back and found the restaurant for the brunch.  Had a nice time at the brunch but had to leave early to get back to get Amber at school.  After school we went for a picnic at a park, got lost trying to find it, with other kids from her class.  I have a GPS but both places today just were not in there I guess, which kind of defeats the purpose! 
I volunteered to be a Room Parent for Amber's class this year.  Most of the moms from Amber's class have either just had a baby/ or have a younger sibling, are pregnant or this is their only child.  Quite a few people only have 1 child here.  I think I may be the only one with 3 children from her class and definatley the only one with kids that old.  Even though I would say the moms are all still around my age.  It is a weird feeling not having to drag the stroller and a baby around to and from school.  Since Amber is my youngest it is nice.
The boys had their religious education class today after school, so Jacob went and picked up Sean from his school building and they walked together over to the class.  And then I just came and picked them up after their RE class.  One thing I have noticed here is just because of the schedules and activities here that the boys do more things together here and in turn are doing more things together at home.  So that is always nice to see.  And then of course there is the scene on the sidwalk in front of school where Sean grabbed Amber and was holding her and she didn't like that so she bit him.  2 out of 3 getting along isn't bad (:



Thursday was one of those running around days where you can't seem to get anything done at home.  After drop off I ran to the store, then came home and had French lessons.  Then back to school to get Amber, and home for lunch and then off to her gymnastics class.  For this class I normally leave 10 min. before it ends so I can get back to school in time to get the boys.  Well today when I got out 10 min. early I physically couldn't get my car out of the parking space.  Ugh this is what I have been dreading!  So this parking lot has cars parked in all different directions.  And I couldn't manage to get the volvo out of the space.  So since I can't speak enough French to ask people to move their cars we waited for the end of class, but then people  here just seem to take their time.  No one is ever in a hurry.  So it was definately longer then 10 min. before the lady next to me came out and then I was able to go forward and kiddie corner out of the lot.  But by this time I am not able to be at school to get Sean.  Jacob is free to go wherever after the bell rings, but Sean's class I have to pick him up in his building in the lobby from the teacher.  So I am in a hurry trying to get there, and here people are such polite drivers, they stop and let people cross the street or let people that are turning left go in front of them.  And of course they don't use the horn here, which is funny b/c Jason can't figure out why he has been honked at a couple of times!  So I am going crazy.  I call my friend to tell her to let the boys know that I am coming b/c now the bell has rung and I am not even at school yet.  When I get to the school the lot is of course full, so I can get into the garage at the high school next store (but only in the afternoons).  We park at the top- 2nd level and there are stairs up to an area behind one of the highschools near the boys school.  I am trying to run, and Amber is crying and saying now she can't run.  But during her class we were just at she was just fine running around.  So now I am carrying her and trying to get there.  I have to go through Jacob's building then out to the playground/blacktop area and then to Sean's building.  But by the time I got there my friend was nice enough to get Sean for me and Jacob was with him too.  Whew I was out of breath!
Then that same friend took Jacob home for a playdate with her son.  They live on the other side of town from me where you have to go through the city and down close into the grund area.  So I am able to get there fine to pick him up, but going home the GPS takes me down these little brick paver roads between the buildings where people are walking.  The road really isn't even wide enough for 2 cars at once. I went in the road and then you have to turn left and then go around a corner which you can't even see if another car is coming and it is so narrow.  I am freaking out again.  People are looking at me like I shouldn't be on this road, but I had just seen a car come out when I went in.  Yikes.  Story has it that the wife who was the previous owner of my car went down one of these roads somewhere in town and another car was coming so she either tried to turn around or back up and physically got the car stuck between the buildings or poles.  She called her husband who had to leave work and come and unstick the car and it took him 30 min. of going back and forth to unstick the car and it still got scratched up.  They had it all fixed after this but this is what I am afraid of too!  The car was probably having flashbacks when it went down the roads today.  Not a good day with the car!

Friday was one of those days that just didn't work out like I had it planned.   Sean woke up with a headache again that he had gotten yesterday afternoon.  Then when we got to school he was running around on the playground and his neck just snapped and he got shooting pain down his neck.  So he went to the nurse and she put some heat and cream on it and it helped it feel better a bit and I thought I would have to go home to get the chiropractor's number but I was talking to someone and she said she had it, too funny.  There are just a few chiropractors here and most people see him.   So I called and got him in around lunch.   I had our Friday coffee with the preschool moms and then I went to the Room Mom meeting.  Here they don't have a room mom and party mom just one and if other people volunteer to help you then that is great.  Once that ended I picked up Sean and Amber early and went out to the Chiropractor.  Sean started to feel better right away so we were near the mall so I just took those 2 out to lunch at a sandwich place.  And then a little ice cream treat for them on the way out.  Amber was suppose to have one of her friends and his mom over for lunch but he was sick today so it was good we had to reschedule anyway.
Jason came home tonight from his trip this week and we went out to the Brazilian restaurant in the downtown Grund area.  It was wonderful.  Our waiter told me I spoke Portuguese well -I liked him.  Our food was great, and we got my favorite Brazilian drinks.  Everywhere here there are no kids cups, so the kids are always given glass cups to drink out of, scary!   Sean's neck started hurting again so after we came home he put himself to bed.  Poor thing.  Hopefully it will feel better tomorrow as he has a lazer tag party he was looking forward too.
Jason told me that he canceled his US trip for next week.  I am glad he will be around, but will miss my things from Target he was suppose to buy.

Saturday was a day filled with birthday parties.  Sean had a party to attend not too far from here right after lunch.  It was at a lazer tag place. His neck was feeling a bit better, but he still can't turn his head to the left all the way.  Amber and I stayed close by and just walked to a strip mall across the street.  They had a cheapier clothing store so I got a sweater and a scarf.  My first clothing purchases here.  Most stores are just so expensive I don't buy anything,  I went in one store next to Amber's Little Gym once and there was a cute plaid skirt that was for an 18 month old and it was $177.  Are you kidding me!  The boots and shoes in there were all around $525.  I couldn't believe it.  At this strip mall we were at today they also had a nice toy store in there, so I bought some things for Amber stocking for Christmas- yes I start early.  I enjoy Christmas shopping and I try to get it done early.   After the party Sean said he likes the lazer tag places better at home.  He said it was harder here. 
So while we did this Jason drove Jacob to Germany, about 45 min. away, for a party that Jacob was invited too.  It was called a football party, but that means soccer here.  So Jason walked to a flea market while Jacob was at the party. It was a beautiful sunny day here in the 70's.  We don't get many pure sunny days here, so it was nice.  Jason came home with some interesting things from the flea market. One thing he bought was a used smaller fooseball table for the boys.  We'll see how long it will last but the boys like it.  On the way home Jason and Jacob found a road side stand selling fruits and good size pumpkins so we now have 3 nice looking pumpkins sitting outside ready for Halloween!  Here is a picture of Jacob standing one foot in Luxembourg and one foot in Germany.

No comments:

Post a Comment