Monday, June 18, 2012

Week of June 10, 2012

Sunday was Mother's Day here.  I was woken up by Amber poking my back saying she needed a bandaide for her foot.  At least it was a little bit after 8am.  Jason took the kids to the park in the morning to play.
The handyman came back today to finish up the shower.  All looks good.
In the late afternoon Jason left for Paris.
We made our own pizzas tonight and had a relaxing evening with a movie night!

Monday morning I ran out to the mall to pick up the last of Jason's Father's Day gifts.   So we had picked up a T-shirt for him in Amsterdam, then I got him a little tray thing for potatoes or vegetables that can go on the grill, and then a garlic press, ha.  He loves garlic and we have never had one! 
After Jacob's lunch today for most of his recess, here they get 30 min. for lunch and 30 min. for recess, he went and met with the school music teacher.  She is friends with Jacob's guitar teacher and had told him to teach him the song that the band will be playing for the concert next week so she wanted to hear how he is doing with it and then told him to join the band practice on Wed. mornings.  So we have to be at school by 7:45 on Wednesdays.  But he is excited and we are looking forward to seeing him play at the concert.  The only thing is he has never played along with anyone else.  So we will see how this goes!
When I went in to pick up Amber it wasn't raining and the sky was sort of blue.  So I am only in there maybe 20 min. or so.  And so I left the window down a little bit in the car.  Well when we go to leave the school it is just pouring rain and of course I left my umbrella in the car too.  At least Amber had her rain coat on, umbrella and rain boots on!  I got soaked.  It went through my coat and my pants, socks everything.  We took my friend and her son home and we just couldn't believe the downpour and of course the front car seat was wet b/c I had left the window cracked open.  When we got home from dropping my friend off the sun was out and no rain, lovely!  Amber had to change her pants, but I had to change everything!
When I go to school to pick up the boys I see Sean's friend that was over on Friday afternoon and he is in a cast.  Oh no.  The boys were on the trampoline and this boy had just fallen wrong and said his ankle was sore when they came in from playing.  So I had him prop up his foot and ice it.  Then about 10 min. later it was time for his mom to pick him up so he went home.  It turns out I guess he fractured his foot/ankle and has to wear this cast for like 10 days or so.  I felt horrible.  I had emailed the mom over the weekend, but hadn't heard back about this.  So tonight we made him some cookies and Sean made him a get well card and I think I will pick him up some legos to keep him busy since he can't do too much.  I hope he can get it off before their summer break starts here.

Tuesday I ran to the store in the morning to pick up a little lego set for Sean to give to his friend that is in the cast.   Then got a quick workout in and then French.
Today at gymnastics Amber's class did a show for us.  So it was cute.


We stayed until the very end today since they gave out the kids medals at the end.  So then we boogied very quickly over to school to try and find a last minute spot left in the garage and there weren't many.
After school Sean gave his friend the lego gift and cookies. 
After we got home Jacob got to do his experiment he is writing about for an assignment and he chose which soda would have more force when opened after being shaken.  He chose Coke light, Sprite and Ice Tea.  And the winner was, Sprite!  We thought the Coke light would have had a greater force when opened.
He had tennis tonight and no holes in his shoes!

Wednesday morning we got up even earlier since Jacob was going to practice with the band with his electric guitar to perform for the end of the year school concert.  His guitar teacher had been working with him on the song.  So the rest of us just went to the caferteria and got a muffin with some other friends that have kids in band. 
Today was Amber's sports day. 

So I brought in the carrots for part of the snack and then volunteered with them in the morning.  I did the baskball station, that had 3 hoops of different heights.  We had balls flying everywhere!  Then the kids got to go back and have their snack we had brought in and a special treat of ice cream!
Amber had her friend over today after school and he was he until a bit after 7pm as his mom had to have a procedure done.
So it is almost the middle of June and the temp. today is suppose to be 58 degrees and raining.  We had 2 good weeks in May of 70 degree weather and now this is what summer is like here, yuck!  I guess it is normally in the 60's and sometimes higher in the 70's later in the summer.
Tonight Jacob had his guitar practice.  He got a lot of practice in today!
Tonight it was light out until 10:20pm!

Thursday morning after preschool started I walked over to Sean's room to help the kids get dressed in their Roman costumes for their play today.  They looked great!  They were performing for some of the other lower school classes today.  Good thing it wasn't the real play as I forgot Sean's sandals for his costume.  So he had gym shoes.  He was an advanced Roman for his time today!  We got them packed for tomorrow, now.
It was a very interesting unit, with learning about the Romans.  I actually learned a lot from the book Sean was studing from.   And it was nice that we had just visited Rome in the fall and seen a lot of the sights!  One of Sean's things he learned about the Romans that he likes to tell is that they liked to eat a lot at dinner parties.  So they would be laying down on these couches and these meals could have like 10 courses to them.  So when they felt like they were full they would tickle their throats with a feather.  This would make them throw up and then they could eat some more.  Yuck!
After helping the kids I went to the mall and met my friend that is moving and another girl joined us as well.  It was sad, as it will be our last coffee.  So this morning I got a dessert instead of a pastry, yum!  It had mixed berries on top, and then in the yummy shell was a berry flavored mouse like pudding, custard thing.  And the girl that joined us has only come just maybe a handful of times as she has a young baby and she said within the next year they may move back to Switzerland.  This coffee group is doomed!  Maybe this could be a good thing for me and we have to move back too! 
Sean had his last basketball class today.  Things are starting to wind down for the year.

Friday after dropoff my preschool mom group had coffee.  So that was nice.
Here I took some pictures of the pictures they had on the wall so they aren't great shots.  But Amber's class was acting out the Princess and the Pea story and she got to be the Queen and her good friend was the King.  The teachers got costumes for the whole class and everyone had a part.  Here is a picture of it.
Today they made Pea soup to go along with their theme.  And the teacher said they loved it.  Amber had 2 helpings of it and only a few kids barley ate it.
Today they also celebrated 2 birthdays and they had celebrated 2 other birthdays this week in class as well.  Everyone is trying to cram in their celebrations.  A lot of cake and cupcakes this week for them.
After coffee I ran to the butcher close to me to pick up some kabobs for Father's Day.  Normally they have some already made and I can just point to them and say how many in French.  Well today they don't have any.  So I am trying to say what I want and he takes the filet and asks how many I want.  So I am thinking great he will just make them for me.  I say 5 so he cuts 5 pieces off the filet and starts wrapping it up.  No, I say I wanted it cut up and on a stick and start doing the cutting motion.  So he cuts them up and then wraps them up again.  No, no I say I want them on a stick with veggies and pineapple.  So he gets the sticks to give to me.  No, no can you please make them.  So then he gets the head guy that speaks a bit of English to figure out that I want him to make the kabobs for me.  So he goes in the back and makes them and comes back like 15 min. later.  And I ended up with like 9 or so of them b/c of all the meat he had cut.  And since this one is the organic shop it is already double the price of the store so it ended up being very expensive.  We will just have to tell Jason he is eating his present for Father's Day!
After the butcher I ran home and dropped off his edible present and ran back to school as I was helping the 2nd graders get their costumes on again for their Roman performance for the parents at 11am.  Everyone looked great, and I remembered Sean's sandals too!

We had one incidence that one little boy accidently ripped another little boy's costume so we had a few tears and I tried to staple and tape his costume back together and it looked fine for the performance.
 This was Sean's favorite part of the play.  He got to fight with his sword!


By the time the show was over I had to wait just a bit and then Amber was out of school. 
The kids got their yearbooks today.  They are really nice.  It is a big hardcover book in color and with their individual picture on the front of it.  Amber and I spent the afternoon going through hers.

Jason got home from Paris last night so he was able to come to the play today and then after the play he headed back to the dreaded transportation station.  This week we finally got that document back and signed by the previous owner which I think we asked him to do in Jan.!  So Jason took everything over there.  We crossed our fingers and said a prayer!  He got there and one person was working and there were 22 people in front of him.  I am thinking please let this go well or he will never go back again, right!  He didn't even bring a lunch or his computer, etc.  After about 1 1 /2 hours 2 more people came in to work, and he got what we needed done!  Hallelujah!  So I now actually have my car registered.  It only took 9 months! 
Now I need to figure out how I get the sticker on the front of my car with my neighborhood on it so I can park for free around town.  It is always something!
At school pickup Jacob and his friends were signing each others yearbooks and then he had a friend come over to play.  And then my friend that is moving next week her son came over to spend the night so the boys all had a good night!
I was on the school website today and it said that since next year the lower school will be moving into their new building they are building, they are finishing up the 3rd school building next year, school next year will get out one week earlier in June and not start until after Labor Day!  That will be nice!

Sat. morning Jason drove the little boy that spent the night over to the friend's house they are now staying with since they moved out of their house.  Then the boys got their hair cuts. 
After lunch Amber had a b'day party to go to and from there Jason picked us up and he had his company summer BBQ party.  But since it was raining all day, of course, it was inside.  So they had a couple bouncy things, a magician, a balloon maker, a face painter.  Amber got a ladybug on her face.  They had some BBQ food and we saw some families we know.  And again they served I think it was just beer, but at the company picnic!
By the time we got home we had about 15 min. before the sitter arrived. 
I was asking the sitter how was prom this year.  She is a junior but went to take pictures since it was only for seniors.  She was saying that since the drinking age is 16 here for beer, wine and champagne they were serving that!  Could you imagine that at home! Ha!  It was at a hotel and after prom people just walked into the city center and went out I guess. 
She said even at graduation which was only about 70 kids.  It is a big school b/c of so many grades, but each grade level only has about 80 or so kids in it!
So we went out and were meeting friends for drinks for my friend's going away party at this cozy hotel bar between our house and the city center.  This place they liked b/c they said it just looks like someone's living room!  There were 5 couples.  From here we walked, in the rain, to dinner.  Dinner was so good.  It was a French restaurant and most of us got the menu of the day.  So it was a shrimp salad like starter, then the main course was sea bass.  And here you don't get these huge portions so it was a normal amount of food.  Then the dessert we didn't really care for was some apricots with ginger on them and then good strawberry ice cream and a crumble like bottom.  From here we went back to one of the couples house for a bit and then home.  After I dropped the sitter off I pulled up back in front of our house and there was a fox staring at me from the forest/bush area we have across the street.  I called Jason from inside the car and told him to unlock and open the front door.  I was going to run in.  That fox was creeping me out! 
So we had a fun night out but very sad to see another good friend go.  I told her she is the 3rd person this year I have had to delete out of my phone ): 
The only good thing is that her husband works with Jason so they are moving back to the states where we will probably be going as well.  So we hope to see them again!

No comments:

Post a Comment