Saturday, January 7, 2012

First week of 2012

Monday the kids had their last day of winter break! 

Tuesday I put back on my rain boots, and drove the kids back to school on another dark, rainy morning!  Some of the kids were excited and some were not.  I was glad to meet a friend for coffee and some others and hear how people's vacation was.
Amber had her little boy friend over from school.  A new girl started in their class today since their friend moved to Norway and there is a waiting list to get into the school so she started today.  The kids said she only speaks Spanish.
Homework is back in full swing and the boys are not happy about it! 
Tonight I had review with the boys how to shower and actually wash all of our body!  It seems that both of them are not washing everything they should be!

Wednesday the sun was actually out.  I couldn't believe it and actually had to dig around in my car for my sunglasses, it was great!
After I picked Amber up we drove out to Jason's office and he wanted to drive over to Belgium (close by) since he had heard and thought he found a store called Carrefour close by.  Well we drive there and it is not the big supermarket like Walmart we were expecting but a little present store- nice Jas!  It was just the wrong Carrefour.  Now Amber is hungry and so we search for a McDonalds and end up eating there.  But it was in a mall so we were able to walk around and they had a Claire's Boutique Accessory store there just like at home.  Funny what makes it over!
Today Jacob said his music teacher was out and I guess she did something to her leg skiing over break and so the substitute was Jacob's guitar teacher!  Jacob said he enjoyed the class!

Thursday was a full day of monsoon rains!  And I am not the only crazy person always talking about the weather, it is quite the talk at school as well.  So last night the winds were so bad and the rain.  About 2 am I get a tap on my shoulder and it is Amber too afraid to sleep in her room anymore.  Later in the morning when it is finally light out to see I see that the wind trashed our trampoline.  The base has come apart on one side and the trampoline is on its side.  I have one pole that holds up the net on one side of the yard, another pole under the trampoline and one laying down near the trampoline, lovely!
Today about 10 min. after my French teacher was suppose to be here she calls and tells me something that I don't understand, but that she will see me next week.  Great, thanks for the heads up on that!
To get Amber out of school at pickup today I had to put her rain pants on because otherwise the poor thing would have been soaked.  Some people were saying they had streets flooding out by their houses.
When I went to pick up Jacob at bball practice I had a little boy try to get in our car.  He opened the door and was just staring at Amber not sure what to do.  He thought it was his car and was totally confused. 
Tonight Jacob got asked to do an interview with one of my dietitian friends that was doing an article about how children feel about having a dietitian as a mom!  It is for a couple of family publications in New York. 

Friday was my coffee with a few other preschool moms.   I then ran out to the import store to see about getting Hershey's cocoa to use to bake Jacob's cake and make frosting with for his birthday.  Unfortunately they don't carry it.  But a friend let me take her container that she had brought back from the states, otherwise another friend recommended a Belgium cocoa powder.  So that will be good.
After I picked up the boys we went to a friend's house for a get together.  Another family came as well.  The kids all played well together and the moms enjoyed some champagne!  Can't beat that!  Because we are so close to the wine growing regions, drinking wine and champagne any time is very common over here, so you know we are just trying to blend in- he he!
When I got home I turned the oven on to make chicken nachos and what do I find in the oven- a lobster claw- yuck!  Can you imagine how the oven smelled?  And the claw was turning black.  We boiled them Sat. night and then put them in the oven to keep them warm since we could only do 2 at a time.  The rest of this week we had leftovers and grilled out.  I can't believe we missed/lost a yummy claw!

Sat. we decided to take the kids to this indoor play place in Belgium.  It used to be where everyone went before they opened some in Luxembourg.  It was nice, a bit older, but the kids liked it.  It even had a disco room that Sean and Amber were dancing away in.  It also had a bigger smaller kids area which is nice b/c Amber doesn't like climbing up those big climby things and going down those tall slides.  We even had lunch there.  The best part was this place is in a huge strip mall and Jason and took turns going shopping.  The prices over in Belgium, which is only like 20-30 min. away are so much cheapier then Luxembourg.  So we both were buying things, plus this time of year there are sales everywhere even back here in town.  I was so excited to find those craft foam stickers and sheets that I buy at Michaels at home since Amber is a huge craft person always into this type of stuff.
We left here early afternoon and then had to drive to the mall back in Luxembourg so I could get Jacob's passport picture taken to renew his passport.
Then later in the afternoon both boys had a birthday party to go to.  Sean went to a party at a friend's house and then I took Jacob to his and the parents stayed at this boy's party at his house as well.  The mom had done a whole Harry Potter theme, with wands and sorting kids into houses and lots of cute things for the kids. So it was nice chatting with people there.  After this party I took Jacob and his friend and we went back to our house for a bit and then walked, like that about living close to the city, to dinner and met up with the boy's family and had dinner together.  It was a Japenese restaurant we had never tried before and it was really good and we all liked it!  It is a tiny place and there were 3 other families from school there as well, too funny!  After dinner we all came back here and had dessert and the kids got to play a bit more.  So it was an enjoyable day and evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment