Sunday, January 29, 2012

Week of Jan. 22nd, 2012

Sunday we made it to church.  Amber was sad her one friend wasn't there, but she saw another friend who then came and sat with her at the end of mass.   Then we went out to lunch.  At one mall nothing is open but this upper scale cafeteria style restaurant.  So we tried it out for lunch.  It was ok.  It is always hard with 5 of us to do cafeteria style with the trays and all the food it gets a little crazy.
Then Jacob had some school work to do and Jason got ready to head back to the states.  I don't have too big of a list for him this time since we were just there.  But there are some things that got shipped there, so he needs to bring those back.  So it is like christmas when he gets back.  Everyone is into the suitcases to see what goodies are in it!
Today Jason was vacuuming out his car so I told Sean that once Dad was done to vacuum out my car.  When I go down and look at it later, he only vacuumed the trunk?  Did he not think the rest of the car was dirty?  So now I have a nice clean trunk and that is it!
So have I mentioned lately how much I hate my laundry machines?  Today I did a load of light colors which had a lot of cream colored tops in it.  I switched awhile ago to only white laundry detergant since it was starting to color my clothes blue.  And today my tops came out grayish- ugh!!!!!

Monday morning my Aunt passed away from Parkinson's disease.  She was a cute, spunky little lady before the disease took over.  May she now rest in peace.
This morning at the grocery store I was excited to see something that looks like tator tots. We will have to try it out.  And they also had frozen Belgium waffles.  So I got those to try.  The kids enjoyed Eggo waffles once in a while at home, now the only time they can have pancakes/waffles during the week is if there are left overs from the weekend.
This afternoon Amber and I made cookies and fruit kabobs to take to a friend's house for lunch tomorrow. 
Jason made it over to the states ok, but I guess the guy that was sitting next to him was a bit smelly and keep tooting the entire flight!  Jason was not pleased.

Tuesday my French teacher showed up and I told her she needs to call me 45 min. at least before the class starts if she can't make it.   We will see!
Later after I picked Amber up we went to a friend's house for lunch.  The girls had so much fun playing and making necklaces! 

Later I made zucchini bread and a chocolate chip coffee cake for this weekend with our guests.

On Wednesday, my Aunt who passed away earlier in the week, her mother passed away today at 100 years old!  Everyone called her Grams whether you were related or not.   May she rest in peace with her daughter now.
I joined a friend for coffee at school and then off to the store to finish getting the last of the food for this weekend. 
Amber had her little boy friend over for lunch and a little playdate as the boys' RE class was cancelled today so they didn't have their usual lengh of playtime and Amber knew it and was upset!
Then Jacob's guitar teacher moved up his lesson time so that was nice.
I talked to Jason and he was busy packing up the suitcases and weighing them, seeing how much stuff he could fit in!

Thursday I met my friends at mall for coffee and we had a nice time. 
This afternoon was Amber's last Little Gym class for this session.  So the parents got to be in the gymnastics room with them watching and taking pictures.  I told her earlier in the day that they would be giving out medals at the end of the class.  So she kept asking me when was she going to be getting the diamond.  Too funny!






Jason got back in town this afternoon with our guests for the weekend.  They are here for business purposes but since they are friends they are staying with us. He is from the states and she is from Brazil and that is where we met them.   So they had some things to do in the afternoon.  The kids got into Jason's 2 suitcases he brought back and were excited to see things!  My parents had shipped Sean's Alvin build a bear he had made over Christmas to Jason and he brought it back here, so Sean was happy!  And Amber got some foam craft stickers and such- she just loves to do arts and crafts.  Jacob had gotten a book he had wanted and then the kids had some clothes in there that I couldn't fit when we flew back at Christmas time.  And of course our favorite food items we need too!
Amber's friend came over in the afternoon after I picked up Sean.  Then later in the evening we had a nice big dinner with everyone! 

Friday I had coffee at school and then took our friend that is here to the mall.  We walked around, stopped and had coffee at the Oberweis Cafe there.  Then showed her the store and we picked up a few items.  We drove around a bit and showed her the other mall/store and then just pointed out a few other things on our way back.  We went and got Amber at school and went out to a Italian place over by school I hadn't tried yet.  We liked it.  Amber and I shared one of the pizza that are very common here, thin crust and just a bit bigger then a normal size plate.
Jacob had a friend over after school, and we just dropped him off at home when we went out to eat since the restaurant was across town by his house and then I had a sitter for the kids.
We tried this Portuguese restaurant for dinner and it was wonderful.  Jason and I had flaming scampi/prawns.  They had a lot of garlic and butter on them but otherwise they were so good!  The menu only had about 10 things on it, but our friends ordered 2 other things that were good as well.
Then we walked across the street to this area with a lot of bar type restaurants and went to the Brazilian restaurant/bar and had our favorite Brazilian drink!  Then went to a cafe that is across the street from the hotel where we first had to stay and they have these wonderful chocolate little volcano cakes with ice cream.  We were stuffed by the time we came home!

Sat. morning after breakfast we took everyone to Trier, Germany.  It is a cute town about 45 min. from us right on the border.  It is actually Germany's oldest city and former Roman outpost.  This city has over 2000 years of history.  Their famous structure that we saw was the former Roman city gate, the Porta Nigra.  It is called that now with porta meaning door and nigra meaning black because over time the structure has turned black.  This structure is from around the year 180.









After that we took a little tour train around town, then walked around and visited their great church- Trier Cathedral.  We had lunch under ground in this big cellar looking German restaurant.  Everything was very good, but fried.  My potato soup was very yummy, and not fried!
They have a great square area with many, many stores, a really nice flower market and such so we walked around that.
Villeroy and Boch was having a great sale and so I got a life size gingerbread man for christmas decoration!  It was bigger than Amber, but made out of a thin piece of wood.  You should have seen us trying to get that in the car with the 7 of us!  It almost didn't make it home!

For dinner we had a big BBQ at the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment